Important Considerations When Purchasing Freediving Pulling Systems:
- Match the pulley to the diameter of the rope. Generally, the Octopus Classic is best for 8mm rope diameters and the XL is best suited to 10mm diameter ropes.
- Take into consideration how the end of your freediving rope is treated. We have found that burning the end of the rope to stop it from fraying adds another 1 millimetre to the diameter of the rope. This makes the XL pulling system less suitable for 12mm diameter ropes.
- There is a knack to organising your rope in relation to the pulling system. The pulley itself must be fed onto the rope at the buoy end, not the weighted end, and the entire rope pulled through until the pulley is almost at the weighted end.
- Also the pulley can rub on the depth markings on the rope if using tape markings. Under such circumstances the rope is better painted with the depth markings.
- The Pulling System is best suited when the freedivers on a buoy vary in ability and hence will require multiple adjustments of rope depth in relation to the freediver’s ability.